East Lothian Council

Deaths - financial advice and support - A to Z

Service Outline

When someone dies, the tax office should be notified as soon as possible. 

The law about what happens to a dead person's money and property is very complicated; if in doubt, consult a solicitor.

Legal advice is available free or at low cost for anyone with limited means, or you can ask your Citizens Advice Bureau to advise you.  The Office of Fair Trading also offers advice on wills, probate and tax.

Search the A to Z

East Lothian Council, John Muir House Brewery Park Haddington East Lothian EH41 3HA.