Licences - houses in multiple occupancy - A to Z
The Scottish Government introduced mandatory licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) in October 2000 and these require to be licensed by Environmental Protection.
An HMO is a house which is the only or principal residence of three or more unrelated persons or family units where they share use of a toilet, personal washing facilities or cooking facilities.
Fees (From 1st April 2017)
Licence fees are as follows:
- 3 - 5 Occupants £420.00
- 6 -10 Occupants £680.00
- 11-20 Occupants £1,040.00
- 21-30 Occupants £1,250.00
- 31-40 Occupants £1,455.00
- 41-50 Occupants £1,665.00
- 51-75 Occupants £2,180.00
- 76-100 Occupants £2,700.00
- 101-200 Occupants £3,740.00
- 201+ Occupants £4,775.00
Additional Inspections after the first inspection for each licence application £50.00 per officer.
- Change of Ownership Prior to Grant of Licence £150.00*
- Change to Day to Day Manager or Agent £150.00
- Change of Occupancy £150.00
- Change of Physical Layout of the Property £150.00
* Where a change of ownership occurs after the grant of a licence, then a brand new application in the names of the new owners is required, along with payment of the full application fees.
Duplicate Licences will be issued upon payment of £25.00
Fees will be altered in line with the Retail Prices Index on the first day of April each year.
Licences generally last for 3 years but the Licence period can be shortened if deemed necessary.
A refund of 20% is granted to unsuccessful applicants for Licences.
Houses in Multiple Occupancy (HMO) Licensing
Telephone: 01620 828763John Muir House, Brewery Park, Haddington, EH41 3HA