East Lothian Council

Frequently Asked Questions

Browse questions frequently asked East Lothian Council.

Common FAQs

Q: How can the Council help me improve my business?

Q: How can I make sure I'm on the voters roll at my new house?

Q: How can I make a claim for housing and/or council tax benefit?


To claim for housing and/or council tax benefit, you will need to complete an application form.

Evidence of your identity, income, savings or other capital and your national insurance number must be provided. This information is also required for your partner or anyone else living in your household.

More information can be found on our housing and council tax benefit pages.

Q: How can I pay my council tax?

Q: Where can I find information on school session dates?

Q: Where is my nearest library?

Q: Where can I find information on clubs, organisations and services in East Lothian?

Q: Where can I find recycling centres & points?

Q: How do I arrange a special uplift?

Q: Who do I contact to make marriage arrangements?

Q: How do I report a pothole or other road defect?

Q: How do I report a street lighting fault?

Q: I'm worried about antisocial behaviour, can the Council help?

Q: I have an illness/disability, can the Council provide assistance to help me stay in my own home?

Q: How do I get a blue (disabled parking) badge?

Q: Am I entitled to free bus travel and, if so, how do I apply for it?

Q: Does the Council have any rooms/facilities available to hire?

Q: How do I find out if I need planning permission or a building warrant for works I want to undertake?

Q: How do I apply to join the East Lothian supply teaching list?

Q: How can I obtain covers for my blue and green recyling boxes?

Do you have a Question?

If there is anything you would like to ask us, about our services, our work or how we can help you, then click the button below.

East Lothian Council, John Muir House Brewery Park Haddington East Lothian EH41 3HA.