East Lothian Council

Consent to place apparatus over a road

How to obtain consent to place any apparatus over a road

Placing apparatus above or over the public road requires Transportation Division consent.

This is so we can make sure that any works are carried out safely, and that any fixings the apparatus is attached to are able to take its weight.

You will need to complete an application form and provide details of how you will carry out the work, including the results of any tests carried out on your equipment and the building fixtures where it will be attached.

Depending on the location and timing of the works, you may need additional consent for traffic management (road closures - signs and barrier - link needed) and that information should be supplied with your application.

The Road Network Division needs sufficient time to consider, approve and register (or reject) an application, but this is normally completed within five working days of receiving a complete application.

Consent conditions

Conditions relating to the specific location and nature of the works are normally issued with the consent.

Failure to comply with any of the conditions contained within the consent may result in it being cancelled and you being instructed to remove your apparatus.  

  • To get consent please telephone 01620-827713
  • Standard conditions for consent
  • Consent charges 

To get these documents go to Related Downloads at the bottom of this page.

John Muir House, Court Street, Haddington, EH41 3HA

Telephone: 01875 824305

Fax: 01620 827710

East Lothian Council, John Muir House Brewery Park Haddington East Lothian EH41 3HA.