East Lothian Council

Road Permits

Apply for a Permit

Photo - Road closure and diversion signs

If you propose to undertake any of the activities listed below on a public road or footway, it is a legal requirementthat you obtain consent from the Council as Roads Authority.

Consent will normally be given by means of a permit which will usually be issued within 4-6 weeks, depending on the complexity / scale of your works and the accuracy of the details submitted in your application.

Skip permits can normally be issued within 10 days.

Road Excavation - Permits Issued under Section 56 of the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984 

  • excavate in the road or pavement
  • create or alter a driveway or other access point
  • create a dropped kerb 

Road Occupation - Permits Issued under Section 58 of the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984 

  • place a skip on the road
  • erect scaffolding, access towers or hoists
  • operate mobile cranes, hoists and cherry pickers
  • erect hoarding or staging
  • erect a mobile or tower crane
  • place contractors plant, containers or materials on the road or footway

Tables & Chairs - Permit Issued under Section 59 of the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984

  • place tables and chairs on the footway outside your business premises

Private Utility Apparatus (S109) - Issued under Section 109 of the new roads and Street works Act 1991

  • Excavations to place, maintain or remove apparatus in or under the road or footway.

To apply for any of the above permits, please download the application below and sent to roadworks@eastlothian.gov.uk

John Muir House, Court Street, Haddington, EH41 3HA

Telephone: 01875 824305

Fax: 01620 827710

Informatiom on current and planned roadworks and road closures (traffic notices)

East Lothian Council, John Muir House Brewery Park Haddington East Lothian EH41 3HA.