East Lothian Council

Assessment of need

Adult social care

Photo - Elderly lady and woman

Adult Social Care Services provide support in East Lothian to people aged 16 or over, their carers and their families.

In order to qualify for a service you must be assessed as having critical or substantial needs as defined in our eligibility criteria. We will also have to carry out a needs assessment.

What is a needs assessment?

A needs assessment is used to make sure that the service you want is appropriate and will meet your needs. It will take into account:

  • any medical condition or disability you have, and how it's affecting you.
  • what you want to happen.
  • the views of your family or carers. 

How can I request an assessment?

You can contact us to ask for an assessment, or you can ask a friend, relative or carer to contact us on your behalf. Your details will be placed on our waiting list and we will get in touch with you to make arrangements to carry out the assessment.  

Waiting times for assessment vary depending on demand for the service and your own circumstances. If the need for an assessment is urgent, this process can happen more quickly. 

What will my assessment cover?

Your assessment will cover things like:

  • what service is being requested and why.
  • what physical or psychological difficulties you may have.
  • any services/support already in place. 

Who will carry out my needs assessment?

Depending on the type of service you are requesting, your needs assessment will be carried out by a social worker, nurse or occupational therapist.

Where are assessments carried out?

Assessments may be carried out in our offices, your home or another suitable location and will take place during office hours. You are welcome to bring someone with you to your assessment.  

What happens next?

When we've completed the assessment and agreed a care package, we will contact you and arrange a date for your services to start. You will also be given a copy of your assessment to sign off and keep for your files.

What if I don't agree with your assessment?

If you don't agree with our assessment, you can make a formal complaint through our feedback process.

Will I be charged for services?

You may be charged for some services, depending on your ability to pay. We will use the information that you give us to assess your financial situation.

This decision will be made in line with our charging policy, which we use to make sure that our charges are applied fairly and consistently. We will share the results of your financial assessment with you.

Residential and non-residential care decisions are made in line with our charging policy for residential and non-residential care.

East Lothian Council, John Muir House, Haddington, EH41 3HA

Telephone: 01875 824309

East Lothian Council, John Muir House Brewery Park Haddington East Lothian EH41 3HA.