East Lothian Council

Care homes in East Lothian (residential care)

How can I make a comment or complaint?

We welcome comments from people receiving services and we will try to sort out complaints and concerns.

Your feedback helps us shape our service.

If there is anything you don’t agree with, you can:

  • Get in touch with the member of staff working with you or their manager.
  • Phone the Complaints Officer to talk things through on 01620 827497.
  • Get a feedback form from your local Council office or library, or by telephoning 01620 827497 to make a complaint about a social work service through the Council’s procedures. This form includes a freepost envelope to return your comments. You can also comment or complain online

If you are unhappy with the outcome of the Council’s complaints process you can complain to the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman. You should contact the Ombudsman within 12 months of the problem you are complaining about although, in special circumstances, they may consider matters that have lasted longer.

The Scottish Public Services Ombudsman

4 Melville Street, Edinburgh EH3 7NS

You can also complain to the Care Inspectorate, which regulates all of our homes:

Care Inspectorate
South East Region, Stuart House, Eskmills, Musselburgh
East Lothian EH21 7PB

East Lothian Council, John Muir House, Haddington, EH41 3HA

Telephone: 01875 824309

East Lothian Council, John Muir House Brewery Park Haddington East Lothian EH41 3HA.