East Lothian Council

Pay to Stay

IMPORTANT - If you claim Universal Credit, have you heard about the new Scottish Choices?

UV 305x250

East Lothian Council wants to make sure that all Council tenants get the advice and support they need to stay in their home.

If you have rent arrears, or are worried about paying your rent, contact the Rent Income team immediately and we'll make sure you get the help you need.

If you claim Universal Credit, you now have choices

The Scottish Government has introduced two new ways to help Universal Credit claimants manage their money.

  1. If you struggle to budget monthly and are worried about keeping your rent payments up-to-date, you can now choose to receive your Universal Credit payment twice a month AND
  2. you can also choose to have the housing cost element of your Universal Credit paid direct to your landlord.

If you are a Council tenant, we recommend that you consider these new Scottish Choices.  If you have difficulty budgeting each month and are worried about falling into debt, then ask for your rent to be paid direct to the Council.  That way, it's all taken care of and it's one less thing for you to worry about.

For more information about Scottish Choices, contact your Work Coach at Musselburgh Jobcentre or phone the Department for Work & Pensions Freephone number on 0800 328 5644.

Failure to pay your rent could result in legal action being taken against you and you could be at risk of losing your home.

East Lothian Council, PO Box 13258, Haddington, EH41 3YA

Telephone: 01620 827528

East Lothian Council, John Muir House Brewery Park Haddington East Lothian EH41 3HA.