East Lothian Council

Council Tenancy Support

The Council provides a Tenancy Support Service for existing Council tenants. It is designed to help to ensure that service users are able to have successful tenancies that they can continue to maintain into the future. Examples of the services we provide are as follows:

  • Assistance to manage in the community (using local services such as libraries and buses)
  • Assisting with home security
  • Assisting with maintenance and home safety (help with reporting repairs and being aware of the need for safety checks)
  • Safe use of cookers and other appliances
  • Help with dealing with other organisations and professionals such as banks, doctors, insurance etc
  • Advice on aids and adaptations, like grab rails
  • Help with budgeting
  • Help with benefit claims
  • Assisting with dealing with correspondence
  • Advice on dealing with neighbours
  • Help in appealing decisions
  • Referring to home helps

There is also a separate Garden Aid Scheme for older and disabled Council tenants.

How to be considered for Tenancy Support

You must be referred to the service by your Community Housing Officer. The local housing office contact details are available via the 'Contacts' box on the left of the screen.

Benefits are changing. Find out how this may affect you on our Welfare Reform information and advice pages.

Watch our housing advice videos. These show how we can help with a range of issues from relationship breakdown, to finding a private let. They explain recent Benefits changes, as well.
If you need any further advice or guidance, please contact us.

If you want to know more about your housing options, click on the link or call 01620 827827 and ask for your Local Housing Office - they will be happy to help

East Lothian Council, John Muir House Brewery Park Haddington East Lothian EH41 3HA.