East Lothian Council

Money advice for tenants

Already in Rent Arrears

If you are already in rent arrears, all is not lost! There are ways to try to help you to keep your home.

1. Speak to your landlord about paying your arrears in stages

2. If you are a private tenant, ask us to negotiate on your behalf.

  • If your problems are due to unexpected expenditure, and it is generally affordable for you to stay in your current home, we may be able to negotiate on your behalf, so that you are not made homeless unnecessarily.

3. Get debt advice from Citizens Advice

If you are threatened with eviction, please go to the topic 'Threatened with Eviction' to see the ways that we might be able to help.

If you want to know more about your housing options, click on the link or call 01620 827827 and ask for your Local Housing Office - they will be happy to help

Benefits are changing. Find out how this may affect you on our Welfare Reform information and advice pages.

Watch our housing advice videos. These show how we can help with a range of issues from relationship breakdown, to finding a private let. They explain recent Benefits changes, as well.
If you need any further advice or guidance, please contact us.

East Lothian Council, John Muir House Brewery Park Haddington East Lothian EH41 3HA.