East Lothian Council

Welcome to the Benefits Section

Universal Credit

From the 23rd March 2016 Universal Credit has been extended in East Lothian to include all new claimants of working age.

If you are of working age and were intending to make a new claim for Housing Benefit and a Council Tax Reduction you may now be required to claim help towards your housing costs as part of your Universal Credit claim. 

You can claim Universal Credit online by visiting: https://www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit

Please note that you will not be able to claim help with your Council Tax as part of Universal Credit. You will still need to complete a Council Tax Reduction form as well.  You can claim your Council Tax reduction online at:  www.eastlothian.gov.uk/claimctr

Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction

If you are of pension age you should still submit your claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction to the Council by completing a Benefit Application form as normal.  You can get a form:

01620 827730 (Council Tenants) or

01620 827729 (Other Tenants and Owner/Occupiers)

Please note that application forms must include supporting evidence.

If Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or pension credits are being claimed, Housing Benefit only can also be claimed using the application form provided by the DWP or Job Centre Plus.  

Scottish Government Change

Council Tax is applied across a range of bands from A to H, with all bands having a relationship with band D, known as the multiplier.  The Scottish Government has legislated to increase the Council Tax multipliers for properties in band E to H from 1 April 2017.

Single person households with a net income of up to £16,750, and all other households with a net income of up to £25,000 and less than £16,000 in savings, will be protected from the increased charge caused by the band E to H multiplier change. 

Those households affected by the change, and already in receipt of Council Tax Reduction, need not re-apply (since your Council Tax Reduction will automatically include any additional reduction you are entitled to).  

However, if you are not currently in receipt of Council Tax Reduction and think this may apply to you, you can apply online at www.eastlothian.gov.uk/claimctr

If you prefer to submit a paper application, you can download a claim form here

Change of circumstances

If any of your circumstances change, you must let us know immediately as it may affect the amount of benefit/reduction you receive.

Please click here to download a Change of Circumstances form, fill in the form and return it to us.

PO Box 13261, Haddington, EH41 3YG

Telephone: 01620 827730/827729

Monday, Tuesday and Thursday: 09.00-16.30, Wednesday: 10.00-16.30, Friday: 09.00-15.30

East Lothian Council, John Muir House Brewery Park Haddington East Lothian EH41 3HA.