East Lothian Council

Comments, complaints and compliments

Getting help to make your complaint

Your right to receive council services and to fair and respectful treatment should not be affected if you make a complaint. If you feel this has happened, please let us know by contacting the Customer Feedback Team 0131 653 5290 or by emailing us at feedback@eastlothian.gov.uk

Getting help to make your complaint

We understand that you may be unable, or reluctant, to make a complaint yourself. We accept complaints from the representative of a person who is dissatisfied with our service. We can take complaints from a friend, relative, or an advocate, if you have given them your consent to complain for you.

You can find out about advocates in your area by contacting the Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance.

Mansfield Traquair Centre
15 Mansfield Place
Email: enquiry@siaa.org.uk
Tel No: 0131 524 1975

You can also approach your local Councillor, MSP or MP to help you make your complaint. Council reception staff can tell you who your Councillor, MSP or MP is and how to contact them.

You can also find this information on the web. Find details of your local Councillor. Find out who your MSP is.

We are committed to making our service easy to use for all members of the community. In line with our statutory equalities duties, we will always ensure that reasonable adjustments are made to help customers access and use our services. If you have trouble putting your complaint in writing please, or want this information in another language or format, such as large font, or Braille, tell us in person, contact us on 01620 827199 or by email at translation@eastlothian.gov.uk

John Muir House, Haddington, EH41 3HA

Telephone: 0131 653 5290

East Lothian Council, John Muir House Brewery Park Haddington East Lothian EH41 3HA.