East Lothian Council

Council tax

Can we reduce your council tax bill?

Pink pig

Are you missing out on financial help?

The council tax reduction scheme is available if you are out of work or on a low income and can help reduce your council tax payments.

You can claim council tax reduction whether you're working, unemployed, disabled, single, married or in a civil partnership.

Would you qualify for a reduction?

To qualify for council tax reduction, you must:

  • be on a low income
  • be the person responsible for paying the council tax
The amount of council tax reduction you will get depends on the amount of council tax you have to pay, the amount of money you have coming in and the number of people living in your household.

You may not be entitled to council tax reduction if:

  • you've come to live in the UK from abroad
  • you're a full time student
  • you live in residential care or a nursing home
  • you have savings over £16,000

Apply now

To find out if you're eligible, apply online

or call into your local Council office and pick up an application form.  

Make sure you get what you're entitled to!

PO Box 13261, Haddington, EH41 3YG

Telephone: 01620 827730/827729

How we use the information you provide.

East Lothian Council, John Muir House Brewery Park Haddington East Lothian EH41 3HA.