East Lothian Food & Drink Awards 2012
Published Wednesday 7th November 12
Local producers, retailers and chefs celebrate culinary excellence
The seventh annual East Lothian Food and Drinks Awards dinner was held on Tuesday 6 November at the Macdonald Marine Hotel, North Berwick.
The event is part of an ongoing initiative led by East Lothian Council to establish the county as the leader in Scotland for quality food, drink and hospitality. Awards were made in a number of categories including best meal in a hotel, Bistro, pub, restaurant and café; best fine dining experience; best local supplier and local producer and commendations for customer care.
Rural Affairs Secretary Richard Lochhead said:
"Scotland is home to a fantastic array of magnificent produce and talented producers, and East Lothian is up there with the best - as these awards have clearly demonstrated.
"The awards have showcased the very best that East Lothian has to offer from fine dining and restaurants to bistros and cafes, as well as celebrating local producers and the chefs of tomorrow. These businesses are serving up a tasty treat to locals and visitors, as well as making a significant contribution to both the local and national economy."
East Lothian's Economic Development spokesman, Cllr John McMillan, added: "
During the current challenging economic conditions it's clear that a successful business is one which recognises the importance of quality products and quality customer service. The Food and Drink awards recognise these qualities and provide a showcase for local companies to promote their businesses. The East Lothian economy is heavily reliant on both tourism and food production and this event will encourage both local residents and visitors to experience top fare in welcoming surroundings."
The event organisers thank the following sponsors for their support in sponsoring some of the prizes: Image Scotland, Thistly Cross Cider, PJ Design and East Lothian Life, Queen Margaret University, EDF Energy, Glenkinchie Distillery and Brodies of Musselburgh.
This year's winners are:
- BEST HOTEL MEAL Sponsored by PJ Design & East Lothian Life
- WINNER John Paul at the Macdonald Marine Hotel, North Berwick
- RUNNER UP The Rocks, Dunbar
- RUNNER UP The Royal Mackintosh Hotel, Dunbar
- CUSTOMER CARE John Paul at the Macdonald Marine Hotel, North Berwick
BEST BISTRO MEAL
- WINNER The Avenue Restaurant at The Victoria Inn, Haddington
- RUNNER UP The Castle Inn, Dirleton
- CUSTOMER CARE The Avenue Restaurant at The Victoria Inn, Haddington
BEST FINE DINING (Sponsored by Image Scotland)
- WINNER La Potiniere, Gullane
- RUNNER UP Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, Muirfield
- CUSTOMER CARE La Potiniere, Gullane
BEST PUB MEAL (Sponsored by Queen Margaret University)
- WINNER The Prestoungrange Gothenburg, Prestonpans
- RUNNER UP Hopetoun Arms, Ormiston
- CUSTOMER CARE The Prestoungrange Gothenburg, Prestonpans
BEST RESTAURANT MEAL
- WINNER The Creel Restaurant, Dunbar
- RUNNER UP Haldanes Restaurant at The Linton Hotel
- CUSTOMER CARE Shish Mahal, Musselburgh
BEST CAFÉ (Sponsored by Brodies of Musselburgh)
- WINNER The Food Hamper, Dunbar
- RUNNER UP The Tea Room, Tranent
BEST LOCAL PRODUCE RETAILER (Sponsored by EDF Energy)
WINNER Gosford Bothy Farm, Longniddry
MOST INNOVATIVE NEW PRODUCT (Sponsored by Scotland Food & Drink)
- WINNER Thistly Cross, Whisky Cider
- RUNNER UP Belhaven Fruit Farm, IceDelight
More articles in the news archive.