Landlord reporting a change

If you are a Landlord or Agent (e.g. Letting Agent, Estate Agent, Housing Association etc.) and you have a tenant moving in or out of a rental property, you can inform us of the change using the form below.

Between tenants, the owner is liable for council tax and it is the owner, landlord or letting agents' responsibility to notify the Council of any change in tenancy within 21 days.

Any discount or exemption for an empty and unfurnished or unoccupied property must be applied for within 21 days of any change in tenancy, as these reductions will not be awarded retrospectively. Failure to apply within 21 days will result in any reduction only being awarded from the date of application.

Landlord registration

The owner of the property must be a registered landlord and will be required to supply their landlord registration number to the council tax team when requested.

To register, please contact Community Housing & Property Management, East Lothian Council:

Tel: 01875 824368
Email: [email protected]

We are unable to register a tenant for council tax purposes until the owner has completed the landlord registration process. The owner will be held liable for any council tax due up to the date of registration.

How we use the information you provide.