A property which is incapable of and not being lived in because it is being structurally repaired, improved or reconstructed may be awarded an exemption for a maximum period of 52 weeks from the date the property was last occupied. The property must be:

  • Unoccupied
  • Undergoing or has undergone since the day it was last occupied, either major repair work to render it habitable or structural alterations AND
  • No more than 12 months have elapsed since the day it was last occupied AND
  • No more than 6 months have elapsed since the work was completed

It is worth noting that there is no "uninhabitable" exemption available for council tax purposes. The Assessor will determine whether a property should be removed from the Valuation List. If you consider your property to be uninhabitable, you can apply to have an "occupation prohibited by law" placed on the property and this would involve a "Closing Order" or a "Below Tolerable Standard" order being placed on the property, normally by Environment, Building and Planning.

How we use the information you provide.