Self-isolation Support Grants
The Scottish Welfare Fund Team delivers Self-Isolation Support Grants (SISG) on behalf of the Scottish Government for the residents of East Lothian.
From 1 May 2022, there is no longer a requirement to self-isolate. Instead, the rules have changed to 'advice to stay at home' and only those with a positive PCR test may qualify for a payment.
Anyone advised to stay at home from 1 May 2022 following a positive PCR test, and who meets the other eligibility criteria listed below, may be awarded £225.
If you're employed, you'll pay tax on the payment if you go over your tax-free personal allowance. Your tax code will change to collect the tax. You'll not pay National Insurance contributions on the payment.
If you're self-employed you must report the payment on your Self-assessment tax return if you need to file one.
You can check to see if you’re likely to qualify by using the tool on the Scottish Government website.
To qualify for the grant you must:
- Have tested postive for Coronavirus following a PCR test
- are the identified appropriate parent or primary carer of a child under 16, or the identified appropriate carer of a person over 16, who has tested positive for Coronavirus following a PCR test has been advised to stay at home by NHS Test & Protect.
You cannot apply for the grant with only a positive lateral flow test.
A positive PCR test result and the requirement to self-isolate will be verified with the Test & Protect Service and we will not be able to process your application if we cannot verify this.
Giving Test and Protect permission to share information
You'll also need to allow Test & Protect to share your information with East Lothian Council. We cannot process your application until you do this.
To allow Test and Protect to share your details, you can either:
- phone the national helpline on 0800 030 8012 - tell them that you agree Test & Protect can share your details with East Lothian Council
- reply to a Test & Protect text message with your postcode - they'll text back asking you to agree to share your details with East Lothian Council
In addition, you must:
- make an application within 28 days of the day that you are required to self-isolate
- are employed or self-employed and unable to work from home
- will face reduced earnings as a result of self-isolating
- in receipt of at least one of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- Income based Employment and Support allowance
- Income based Job seekers allowance
- Income support
- Housing Benefit
- Pension Credit
- Means-tested Council Tax Reduction or
- are an individual who earns less than the £1608.75 gross per month or
- your household income is such that it falls within the agreed definition of ‘low income’ for your household type
Applications for support are for single applicants. Any other applications for those within the same household must be made separately and individually.
Before you apply, please ensure you have the information in this list:
- a bank statement
- your national insurance number
- proof of low income if you do not claim benefits
- proof of employment or self-employment
If you are eligible we will pay the £225 into your bank account.