Already in Rent Arrears

If you are already in rent arrears, all is not lost! There are ways to try to help you to keep your home.

1. Speak to your landlord about paying your arrears in stages

  • It may be possible for you to negotiate with your landlord, if there has been a temporary blip in your payments. It needs to be clear, though, that this is a one-off, and that you are generally able to afford to make your rent payments on time.
  • If you are a Council tenant, go to 'How to deal with arrears' in the 'Help for Council tenants' section. The short video below also explains how to get help. If you are a Housing Association tenant, go to the 'Help for Housing Association tenants' section.

2. If you are a private tenant, ask us to negotiate on your behalf.

  • If your problems are due to unexpected expenditure, and it is generally affordable for you to stay in your current home, we may be able to negotiate on your behalf, so that you are not made homeless unnecessarily.

3. Get debt advice from Citizens Advice

If you are threatened with eviction, please go to the topic 'Threatened with Eviction' to see the ways that we might be able to help.