Adaptations to Private Homes

This topic explains the help available to adapt your own home, or a home you rent from a private landlord, to better suit your needs.

Funding for Adaptations

If you need to make your home more suitable for your needs, we may be able to help with the cost of work, provided the changes have been recommended by an Occupational Therapist. Please see Assessment of Need.

If you are in receipt of Income Support, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Universal Credit or Guaranteed Pension Credit you will receive a grant of 100% of the cost of the eligible work. All other applicants will receive a grant of at least 80% of the cost of the eligible work.

Further information, including applying for funding

The Scottish Government has leaflets for homeowners and private tenants giving more information about adaptations and how they are funded. There is a green guide for tenants, and a red guide for homeowners.

Carrying out the work - Assistance from Care and Repair

Care & Repair East Lothian offers practical help and advice for homeowners and private tenants who require an adaptation. They offer a range of other services for homeowners and private tenants over 60, or the disabled over 50.

Assistance from Care and Repair East Lothian is optional but can include organising architectural services and tendering, assistance to apply for grant and possibly charitable funding, help with paperwork and liaising with contractors. The support offered will vary depending on needs.

Getting permission from a private landlord

A person with a disability in a private let is entitled to seek to adapt their home to meet their needs. Their landlord's consent is required but this cannot be unreasonably withheld. Conditions can be placed on this, such as requiring reinstatement at the end of the tenancy. If a landlord refuses an adaptation, the tenant can take legal action. Information is available from Citizens Advice Bureaux or a solicitor.

Finding a new home

Adapting your current home may not always be possible, or it may not always be the best option to meet your long term needs. In cases where an adaptation is not recommended we will assist you to find the best solution for you and your family. More information about alternative housing can be found in Helping you to Find Somewhere Else to Live.

Help for Disabled People from Housing Options Scotland

Housing Options Scotland provides information and advice to help disabled people to get the right house, in the right place. They do not directly provide housing.