Adaptations to Council Houses

This topic explains how to get an adaptation if you are renting from the council. Before reading this please see the general information in the topic Home needs adapting.

Funding adaptations

The council sets aside a part of the budget each year for adaptations to its homes, and you should not need to pay for them.

For further informaton about adaptations to your council house, download the Scottish Government guide for local authority tenants.

If it is not practical to adapt your home

If the council considers your current property will not meet your long term needs, and it can offer alternative suitable accommodation, then an adaptation will not be approved. Similarly, if a major adaptation is not practical or reasonable, a move to alternative accommodation may be the best solution and an adaptation will not be approved. For more information, go to our topic about applying for a transfer on health grounds.

Help for Disabled People

Housing Options Scotland provides information and advice to help disabled people to get the right house, in the right place. Housing Options Scotland do not directly provide housing.