Mutual Exchanges

About exchanging

Council tenants can exchange houses with other council and housing association tenants in East Lothian and throughout the UK. You advertise your house online here and search for suitable exchanges.

Things to think about

  • You should not carry out an exchange without getting permission.
  • You will not be allowed to exchange to a house too large for your needs.
  • Please read our 'points to note' section for further key information.

Incentives are available to make moving easier, in some cases. If you down-size to a smaller property, you could receive £3000 - please go to our information on Incentives for down-sizing.

Advertising Online

Complete an online form (below) to adverrtise on both the council and the East Lothian Housing Association website. Your ad should appear within ten days. If it doesn't please contact your housing office. Your name will not be published online but you must provide contact details. Printed copies are available at our area offices and it is possible to advertise only in these offices - but that will limit your responses.

Advertise your property for a Mutual Exchange

If you have already advertised and wish to make changes or cancel

Make changes to a Mutual Exchange advert

Searching locally

Search for a suitable property in East Lothian or nearby

Searching for properties elsewhere

If you are searching for local properties not in our advertising scheme, or elsewhere in the UK, links to alternative sites are available. We cannot endorse these sites - the links are provided to help you. Some services may make a charge. If you know which area you want to move to, the local council's website may be useful.

What to do when you've found an exchange partner

Our guide to swapping your council house will tell you all you need to know about the process, including important DO's and DONT's.

This information is for council tenants - Housing Association tenants should contact their landlord.

Download our guide to swapping your council house