What to do if you disagree with your Council Tax charge

Step 1

If your Council Tax band is correct but you have a query regarding who is liable to pay Council Tax or the amount being charged, you should contact the Council Tax team as possible so that we can review your circumstances.

Step 2

If you disagree with the outcome of this review and would like it to be looked at again, you can appeal this decision. This initial appeal must be in writing to the Team Leader - Council Tax and Debt Management, clearly stating the reasons why you are unhappy with the decision.  The Council has 2 months to reply. 

Step 3 

If you are still not satisfied, or you do not hear back within 2 months, you have the right to appeal to the The Valuation Appeal Committee.  

You must appeal within:

  • 2 months of the Council telling you its decision
  • 4 months of you first writing to the Council (if you have not had a response)

You must continue to pay your Council Tax until we have made a decision on your appeal.

What to do if you are not satisfied with the level of service you receive

If you are not satisfied with the level of service you have received, you can make a formal complaint by filling in our Feedback form.

Important information -  cost of living

With the cost of living increasing, many people are finding it difficult to cover essential daily living costs.

A range of measures are available to help people boost their income. Don't assume you're receiving everything you're entitled to, always check, and if you're still struggling or in doubt, get in touch.

Find out more on our cost of living support pages