Our Council Tax team is extremely busy at the moment and although we understand that delays in processing customer enquiries can be frustrating, we are asking that customers please bear with us during this busy time.

If you have contacted the team and are awaiting a reply, please be patient, we will be in touch as soon as we can.  If possible, please avoid contacting the team to ask for a progress update as this generates additional work and may delay your enquiry.

New legislation was introduced by the Scottish Government on 1 April 2018 to exclude care leavers from paying council tax.

This means that, if you are a care leaver and you either live on your own or live with other care leavers, then you will not have to pay council tax.

If you live with someone else who is not a care leaver, you may be eligible for a discount in your council tax bill.

To qualify for a care leaver exemption or discount:

  • you must be at least 18 years of age but not yet 26 years of age
  • have been looked after by a Local Authority on your sixteenth birthday or at any subsequent time thereafter 
  • no longer be looked after by a Local Authority

When deciding if an exemption or discount can be applied, we will take into account:

  • who is responsible for paying council tax in your household
  • any other reductions that are already in place
  • the number of other residents who live in your household who are over 17 years of age

If you think that you, or a member of your household may be entitled to a care leave exemption or discount, please complete an application form and return to the council tax team.

Download a council tax reduction form

Important information -  cost of living

With the cost of living increasing, many people are finding it difficult to cover essential daily living costs.

A range of measures are available to help people boost their income. Don't assume you're receiving everything you're entitled to, always check, and if you're still struggling or in doubt, get in touch.

Find out more: www.eastlothian.gov.uk/cost-of-living-support