Are you a full time student getting ready for the new term?
Our Council Tax team is extremely busy at the moment and although we understand that delays in processing customer enquiries can be frustrating, we are asking that customers please bear with us during this busy time.
If you have contacted the team and are awaiting a reply, please be patient, we will be in touch as soon as we can. If possible, please avoid contacting the team to ask for a progress update as this generates additional work and may delay your enquiry.
Students, don't forget to apply for your Council Tax discount.
To qualify as a student, you must either:
- study for 6 months for 21 hours per week in each academic year
- be a foreign language assistant working in a school or other educational establishment and be registered with the British Council
- be under 20 years old and studying for a non-advanced course for at least 12 hours a week for three months - non-advanced courses include A levels, Highers and Level 3 SVQs
Amount of discount
We may offer:
- a 25% discount if all but one of the adults living in the property are students
- a full exemption from paying Council Tax if the property is occupied solely by students
This discount reduces your Council Tax, water and sewerage charges.
Important information - cost of living
With the cost of living increasing, many people are finding it difficult to cover essential daily living costs.
A range of measures are available to help people boost their income. Don't assume you're receiving everything you're entitled to, always check, and if you're still struggling or in doubt, get in touch.