Waste services and recycling - COVID-19
Information on waste services and recycling
All four of our Recycling Centres remain open and can accept the full range of materials, except for the reuse sheds, which are now closed. Please remember during lockdown to only visit if it is essential. Staff cannot help lift materials and physical distancing guidelines must be observed.
Brown bin collection
The brown bin collection service for garden waste has resumed, but is now taking place once every four weeks.
Green and blue boxes for cans, plastics, glass, paper and cardboard
Green and blue recycling boxes are being collected on scheduled dates.
Food waste is being collected on scheduled dates.
Green bin - non-recyclable waste
Green bins are being collected on scheduled dates.
Please make sure all containers are presented by 07:00 as there may be changes to your collection time.
How to help our collection crews during this time:
- do not leave extra black bags beside your bin for collection - to protect staff from any potential injuries as they may contain glass, needles or sharp objects like metal tins
- do not throw black bags into the back of the bin lorry yourself - only Waste Collection Operatives with the right health and safety training can use refuse collection vehicles
- do not refill your bin straight after the crew have emptied it and ask them to empty it again - this takes time and could mean some residents wouldn't get their bin emptied
- make sure all recyclable materials are separated from general waste to maximise the space in your green bins
- if you have extra waste we kindly ask that you store it safely in your property until it can be placed in the bin - the Recycling Centres are open for excess garden and household waste
Bin, box and food caddy delivery
You can still order replacement bins, boxes and food caddies but there may be delivery delays if we have less staff available. We are prioritising the delivery of non recyclable waste containers, outdoor caddies and liners.
Bulky waste collection
You can book a bulky waste collection by emailing [email protected]
Please provide us with your Name, Address and Postcode and details of the items you are requesting a collection for.
Trade waste collections
Currently operating as normal - any changes will be notified to our business customers.
Due to changes in staff, your waste and recycling may be collected by a different crew and at a different time.
Make sure your containers are easily accessible and visible.
Please make sure your bins are out by 7am as there may be changes to your collection time. It may not be possible to come back for missed containers until your next scheduled collection day.
Please consider where you park on collection days. Always park more than 10m (32ft) from a junction and close to the kerb with wing mirrors folded in. This will allow us to safely access bins.
How to dispose of personal waste if you, or someone in your household, have coronavirus symptoms
To protect our communities and workforce - personal waste, should be stored securely in disposable rubbish bags. These should then be placed into another bag, tied securely and kept separate from other waste within your home. The double-bagged waste should be put aside for at least 72 hours in a place that can't be accessed by other people or pets, before being put in your non-recyclable waste bin which will be collected as part of the usual fortnightly collections. Other household waste can be disposed of as normal.