Guidance for visiting our libraries
You can get information about specific libraries and services from our East Lothian libraries directory - including which libraries are closed to the public.
These libraries are now open for click and collect services, browsing of library resources, public PC use and photocopying:
- Haddington Library - check opening times and book an appointment for Haddington Library
- Musselburgh Library - check opening times and book an appointment for Musselburgh Library
- Dunbar Library - check opening times and book an appointment for Dunbar Library
- North Berwick Library - check opening times and book an appointment for North Berwick Library
- Longniddry Library, Longniddry - check opening times and book an appointment for Longniddry Library
Anyone can attend any library. However, if you come to the library without an appointment, you will be given access only if we can safely accommodate other customers at the same time - if not then we will book an appointment for you for a later time.
These libraries are only open for click and collect, public PC use and photocopying:
- Tranent Library, George Johnstone Centre, Tranent - check opening times for Tranent Library
- Port Seton Library, Port Seton - check opening times for Port Seton Library
- Prestonpans Library (from 26th October) - check opening times for Prestonpans Library
Make an appointment
- you can make an appointment for click and collect through the library's webpage - find it in the directory
- or by email to: Musselburgh Library - [email protected], Haddington Library - [email protected], or Dunbar Library - [email protected]
- or by telephone - call our switch board on 01620 827827 and ask for the relevant library
Visiting the library
A library visit will last for a maximum of 30 minutes per appointment to limit the number of customers at any one time in the Library.
A computer booking will last for a maximum of 1 hour per session. There will be fewer computers available for use. This is to enable the staff time to clean down each computer between bookings. Computer bookings can't be extended and will be limited to one booking per day per person.
There will be a returns bin available so if you wish to return any library books, please bring them along. An appointment is not necessary to return items. Return bins are also available at John Muir House, Port Seton Community Centre, North Berwick Library and Tranent Library.
Libraries have been prepared with a one-way system for customers to use. Staff will be wearing PPE and all visitors who come into the library are required to wear a face covering unless, for example:
- you have a health condition or you are disabled and a face covering would be inappropriate because it would cause difficulty, pain or severe distress or anxiety or because you cannot apply a covering and wear it in the proper manner safely and consistently. Individual discretion should be applied in considering the use of face coverings for other children including, for example, children with breathing difficulties and disabled children who would struggle to wear a face covering
- you need to eat or drink
- you are taking medication
- you are communicating with someone else who relies on lip reading
- a relevant person, such as a police officer, asks you to remove your face covering
We are operating limited opening hours
The service remains reduced as we follow government guidelines and some of our branches remain closed to staff as well as the public.
We will be providing further information and dates with regard the services and opening of other East Lothian Council Libraries as they become available.