In accordance with Section 21 of the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984, anyone proposing to construct a new road or extend an existing road must obtain Road Construction Consent (RCC) from the roads authority. Construction works on existing roads do not require RCC but will normally require other consents, usually in the form of a permit.

Nationally agreed guidance on road construction consents and road bonds has been developed by the Society of Chief Officers of Transportation in Scotland (SCOTS), available in their guide for the Road Construction Consent and Road Bond process. Cognisance should be taken in the first instance from the National Roads Development Guide, and the resulting RCC application should satisfy the technical details as set out in East Lothian Council's Standards for Development Roads.

Before you can apply for an RCC, you must obtain planning permission. Following this please fill in and submit the following forms to [email protected] .

The information listed below will generally be required as part of an RCC submission. These should be compliant with our standard drawing details.

  • Location Plan
  • General Arrangement Plan (where applicable in the context of any surrounding development phasing)
  • Road and Levels Layout
  • Road Construction Details
  • Road Longitudinal Sections
  • Kerbing Layout
  • Drainage Layout including SuDS
  • Drainage Construction Details
  • Drainage Longitudinal Sections
  • Finishes Layout
  • Vehicle Swept Path Analysis
  • Road Adoption Plan
  • Land Factoring Plan
  • Quality Audit – including Stage 2 Road Safety Audit
  • Signs and Lines Drawing
  • Traffic Signals Layout and Operational Details
  • Street Lighting Layout and Calculations
  • Structural Details & Assessment
  • Any other details to enable the assessment of the proposal

Evidence of Scottish Water's Technical Approval will also be required.