Gambling premises licences

There are five types of Premises Licence available for gambling:

  • Betting Shops, including Track Betting
  • Family Entertainment Centres - (gaming machine arcade)
  • Bingo Halls
  • Adult Gaming Centres - (gaming machines for adults only)
  • Casinos

How to apply

To be able to apply for a Premises Licence you must already have an Operating Licence issued by the Gambling Commission and also have the right to occupy the premises.

Before you complete the application form you must have had a notice placed outside the premises for at least 28 days. You must also place an advert in a local newspaper within ten days of making the application and notify all 'responsible authorities' within seven days of making the application.

When you are ready to apply, complete the application form and send it to us along with the fee and layout plan. You will also need to confirm to us that you have notified all the 'responsible authorities' and send us a copy of the newspaper which the advert was in.

How we deal with your application

We will send a copy of your application to the Police and may send a copy to East Lothian Council Officials.
Members of the public (interested parties) or 'responsible authorities' can object or make representations to the application. If a representation is received we must hold a hearing at which you can appear or be represented. The Premises Licence can be transferred if required.

Gambling Applications Fee List

Download gambling application form