Much has been done in recent years to get East Lothian more active, but the number of adults meeting physical activity recommendations declines sharply with age. Physical activity helps prevent and manage a wide range of health conditions, including diabetes, heart and lung conditions and osteoporosis. But did you know that less than a third of people in Scotland aged over 55 are active enough for health?
The Ageing Well project promotes healthy lifestyles for people over 50 in East Lothian. The project is a partnership between NHS Lothian and East Lothian Council.
The Ageing Well project aims to maintain and promote the physical and mental health, wellbeing and quality of life for people over 50 in East Lothian through a list of activities.
Some ways Ageing Well can help are:
- set up new activities where there is a demand or a gap
- help sign post you to activities in your area
- help you stay healthy and active for longer
- work with people who have physical disabilities, mental health needs or dementia and possibly "buddy" people to appropriate health-related services
- provide advice and training on physical activity-related topics to organisations and groups working with older people
There are also opportunities to volunteer for the Ageing Well Project.
For more information contact:
Ageing Well Coordinator
Tel: 07718 117585
Visit the Ageing Well website and see the full list of activities available