By-Election Key Information
A by-election will be held on Thursday 9 May 2019 for the election of one councillor in Ward 5 of East Lothian Council, the Haddington and Lammermuir Ward. The by-election is required due to the resignation of Councillor Brian Small.
The successful candidate will represent this ward along with the three existing councillors.
The by-election will use the Single Transferable Vote (STV) system where voters can rank candidates in order of preference rather than a single cross. Voters can choose to vote for as many or as few candidates as they like. The result of the by-election will be announced once the votes have been counted. The count will be held on Friday 10 May 2019.
- 3 April - Poll cards sent out
- 22 April - Last day to apply to be on the electoral register
- 23 April - Last day for new postal vote applications
- 23 April - Last day to change an existing postal or proxy vote application
- 29 April - Postal votes sent out
- 30 April - Last day for new proxy vote applications
- 9 May (5pm) - Deadline for issuing replacements for spoilt or lost postal ballot papers
- 9 May (5pm) - Deadline for applying for a proxy vote on medical emergency grounds
Enquiries for any of the above should be made to the electoral registration office.