You may be eligible for the following benefits, if you are unemployed.

This is a summary of the main criteria for information only.  Any award will be subject to application and meeting the full eligibility criteria. If you would like more details or need advice, contact the welfare rights team.

This information is correct at the date of publishing on 1 December 2020, but may be subject to change.

Universal Credit 

Universal Credit is a monthly payment for people who are on a low income or are out of work. How much you'll get depends on your circumstances, including your income, savings and how many children you have. Your Universal Credit payment may also include an amount for your rent. 

Find out more about Universal Credit

New Style Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) Contribution Based

You may be able to claim New Style Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) Contribution Based with, or instead of, Universal Credit depending on your national insurance record in the last two years.

Find out more about New Style Jobseekers Allowance

Council Tax Reduction

You may qualify for help to pay your Council Tax if you are on a low income, out of work or have little or no savings. The amount of Council Tax Reduction you receive depends on your circumstances.

Apply for Council Tax Reduction

Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI)

If you are a homeowner and recieve Universal Credit, you may be able to get a loan to help towards interest payments on:

  • your mortgage
  • loans you've taken out for certain repairs and improvements to your home

Find out more about Support for Mortgage Interest