You may be eligible for the following benefits, if you are off work ill

This is a summary of the main criteria for information only. Any award will be subject to application and meeting the full eligibility criteria. If you would like more details or need advice, contact the welfare rights team.

This information is correct at the date of publishing on 1 December 2020, but may be subject to change. 

Statutory Sick Pay

You may be eligible for Statutory Sick Pay if you are off work. You must be employed and earn at least £116 per week. This benefit can be paid up to 28 weeks.

Find out more about Statutory Sick Pay

Employment and Support Allowance (New Style) Contribution Based

This benefit is based on your National Insurance contributions in the last two years. Any amount awarded may be reduced if you have an occupational pension over £85 per week.

Find out more about Employment and Support Allowance (NS) Contribution Based

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment for people who are on a low income or out of work. How much you will get depends on your circumstances including your income, savings and how many children you have. You Universal Credit payment may also include an amount for your rent. The DWP will carry out a health assessments.

Find out more about Universal Credit

Council Tax Reduction

You may qualify for help to pay your Council Tax if you are on a low income, out of work or have little or no savings. The amount of Council Tax Reduction you receive depends on your circumstances.

Apply for Council Tax Reduction

Industrial Injury Benefit

You must be employed and you must have had a personal injury caused by an accident at work or contracted a prescribed disease whilst working.

Find out more about Industrial Injury Benefit