Disability and carers

You may be eligible for the following benefits, if you are disabled or caring for someone

This is a summary of the main criteria for information only.  Any award will be subject to application and meeting the full eligibility criteria. If you would like more details or need advice, contact the welfare rights team.

This information is correct at the date of publishing on 1 December 2020, but may be subject to change. 

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment helps with the cost of a long-term health condition or disability for people aged 16 to 64. You must need help with personal care and/or getting around. It is not means tested and does not reduce other benefits. It may even increase the amount of benefit you get or help you to qualify for other benefits.

Find out more about Personal Independence Payment 

Attendance Allowance (AA)

Attendance Allowance is extra money to help with your care needs if you are aged 65 or over and you have an illness or disability. It can be paid regardless of your income, savings or National Insurance contribution record and is a tax free benefit. It is not means tested and does not reduce other benefits. It may even increase the amount of benefit you get or help you to qualify for other benefits.

Find out more about Attendance Allowance

Child Disability Payment

Payment of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children in Scotland will transfer from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to Social Security Scotland.  A new benefit called Child Disability Payment will replace DLA for children in Scotland. There will be no change to the amount you are paid. 

Find out more about Child Disability Payment

Carer's Allowance

Carer's Allowance is the main welfare benefit to help carers. You don't have to be related to or live with the person you care for. The person you care for must be in receipt of a qualifying benefit (certain rates of AA, DLA or PIP) and you must meet the specific criteria and provide care for at least 35 hours each week. Payment of this benefit can affect other benefits the person being looked after may be in receipt of, so always seek advice.

Find out more about Carer's Allowance

Carer's Allowance Supplement

Carer's Allowance Supplement is an extra payment for people in Scotland who get Carer's Allowance on a particular date.

Carer's Allowance Supplement is paid 2 times a year and from April 2020 the rate will be £230.10 per payment.

Find out more about Carer's Allowance Supplement

Young Carer Grant

Young Carer Grant is a yearly payment of £305.10 for young carers in Scotland.

To be able to get Young Carer Grant, you must be 16, 17 or 18 years old.

Find out more about Young Carer Grant

Council Tax Reduction

You may qualify for help to pay your Council Tax if you are on a low income, out of work or have little or no savings. The amount of Council Tax Reduction you receive depends on your circumstances.

Apply for Council Tax Reduction

Blue Badge

If you're disabled or have a health condition that affects your mobility, you can apply for a blue badge.   

Apply for Blue Badge

Elderly and Disabled National Entitlement Pass (Bus Pass)

You may be eligible for a bus pass if you receive certain rates of Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment or meet other physical or mental health criteria.

Find out more about a Bus Pass

Motability Car

The Motability Scheme provides access to a new car, scototer or powered wheelchair. You must be in receipt of the higher rate mobility component of PIP.

Find out more about The Motability Scheme

Road Tax Exemption

If you are a disabled driver, you may get an exemption from paying, or a reduction in road tax. You must be in receipt of DLA or PIP mobility component.

Find out more about Road Tax Exemption

Fares to Hospital

This may be awarded for attendance at appointments or treatment for the patient (and carer if needed). You must be in receipt of a qualifying benefit.

Help with Transport Costs


This scheme offers reduced taxi fares and train travel for those who can't use buses. You must have severe and permanent physical disability and not have regular access to private motorised transport.

Apply for a Taxicard