Single parents

You may be eligible for the following benefits, if you are a single parent

This is a summary of the main criteria for information only.  Any award will be subject to application and meeting the full eligibility criteria. If you would like more details or need advice, contact the welfare rights team.

This information is correct at the date of publishing on 1 December 2020, but may be subject to change. 

Universal Credit 

Universal Credit is a monthly payment for people who are on a low income or are out of work. How much you'll get depends on your circumstances including your income, savings and how many children you have. Your Universal Credit payment may also include an amount for your rent.

Find out more about Universal Credit

Council Tax Reduction

You may qualify for help to pay your Council Tax if you are on a low income, out of work or have little or no savings. The amount of Council Tax Reduction you receive depends on your circumstances.

Apply for Council Tax Reduction

Best Start Grant & Best Start Foods

You can get Best Start Grant and Best Start Foods:

  • if your child is the right age for a payment
  • whether you're in work or not, as long as you're on certain payments or benefits
  • as long as you're the parent of a child, or the main person looking after the child

Find out more about Pregnancy & Baby Payment, Early Learning Payment, School Age Payment and Best Start Foods

Child Winter Heating Assistance

This is a new benefit from the Scottish Government. It's a payment of £200 for children and young people up to the age of 18. To get the payment they must meet two criteria on at least one day in the third full week of September (called the "qualifying week"). On that day they must:

  • get the highest rate care component of Disability Living Allowance for children
  • be resident in Scotland

Find out more about Child Winter Heating Assistance

Scottish Child Payment

Scottish Child Payment helps towards the costs of supporting your family. It's a weekly payment of £10 that you can get for every child you look after who's under 6 years of age. You'll get the payment every 4 weeks if your application is successful.

Find out more about Scottish Child Payment

Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI)

If you are a homeowner and recieve Universal Credit, you may be able to get a loan to help towards interest payments on:

  • your mortgage
  • loans you've taken out for certain repairs and improvements to your home

Find out more about Support for Mortgage Interest