Universal Credit checklist

To make a claim for UC you will need to have the following information:

  • Your postcode
  • Your National Insurance Number
  • Your email address
  • Details of your bank, building society or credit union account, including name of your bank, sort code and account number. If you don't have a bank account you will need to open one
  • Names and dates of birth of all family members to be included in your claim
  • The type of accomodation you live in, for example if you are a council tenant, private tenant, housing association tenant or have a private mortgage
  • Your landlord's name and address
  • How much you pay in rent and how often - the DWP refers to this as your housing costs. If you are an East Lothian Council tenant, contact the Rent Income team and we will confirm this for you. It is crucial that you inform DWP of your correct housing costs. The council will be asked by DWP to verify your housing costs. If the information we provide is different from what you have declared, you will not receive  any housing costs as part of your UC payment and you will have to meet the cost of this yourself
  • If applicable, how many rent free weeks your landlord allows. If you are an East Lothian Council tenant, you are entitled to four rent free weeks each year
  • Details of how much you earn from work. You will get this from your payslips
  • Details of any income that's not from work, for example, from a pension
  • Details of any savings you have
  • Details of any other benefits you are receiving
  • You will also need to confirm your identity online on GOV Verify. If you are unable to do this, select the "I can't do this online" option that will take you back to your journal to complete your claim.
  • Make sure you phone 0800 328 5644 to book your first appointment