Paying your rent and Council Tax

Paying your rent on time and in full is the most important part of your tenancy agreement.

We also need to make sure that suitable arrangements have been made to pay your Council Tax.

There are lots of payment options to choose from, including direct debit. We can discuss what option is best for you.

We want to avoid arrears recovery action being taken against you and you could be at risk of losing your home, so make sure you get in touch as soon as you have made your claim for UC.

Call 01620 827827 or email

It is your responsibility to ensure that your rent is paid on time and to contact the Rent Income team if you are experiencing financial difficulties.

If you claim Universal Credit and have more than 8 weeks rent arrears

The council can ask DWP to deduct money from your Universal Credit payment to repay your arrears.

DWP can pay up to 20% of your personal allowance to East Lothian Council every month. We can also ask DWP to pay your fortnightly rent direct to the council and not you as part of your UC payment.

We do not need your permission to do this. We would prefer to make arrangements with you to repay any rent arrears, however, failure to do this, or maintain agreed repayments, will result in action being taken to recover any debt owed.