East Lothian Council

Comment on or Objecting to Planning Applications

Commenting and objecting to planning applications

Planning application form

Comments can be made by anyone and can be objections, support or observations about the application.

Please note that any comments on planning applications cannot be treated as confidential as they will form part of the public record, however comments will not appear on the Council website.

How to comment on planning applications

You can make your comments by:

To comment online, please have the planning application number ready (e.g. 11/00001/P). Search for the application using Planning Online.  Once you have selected your application, a comment function will be available.

For additional guidance we have created this pictorial guide to the online comment process.

You can also comment by:

Is there a time period for making a comment/representation?

It is important to be aware that there are time limits within which you must submit your comments to the Council:

If you have been notified through a neighbour notification notice, or made aware through a site notice posted at the site or though the statutory planning notice in the local press then you have 21 days, from whichever is the later date given in the aforementioned notice(s), to submit your comments. In exceptional circumstances the planning case officer may agree an extension to this period.

What you can comment on

We can take into account material planning considerations.  These cover a wide range of issues including:

  • loss of privacy
  • loss of trees
  • loss of daylight
  • visual appearance
  • traffic generation and road safety
  • noise or smell
  • development plan
  • impact on listed buildings and/or conservation areas
  • impact of increased activity 

 Matters that are not material to planning application assessment and cannot be considered include:

  • requirements under building regulations or other non-planning laws such as structural stability, fire precautions or the like
  • private issues between neighbours such as party wall disputes, damage to property, private rights of ways, covenants or the like
  • loss of a view
  • property values
  • commercial competition
  • alternative types of development you might prefer

Environment Reception, John Muir House, Haddington, EH41 3HA.

Telephone: 01620 827216

East Lothian Council, John Muir House Brewery Park Haddington East Lothian EH41 3HA.