Recycling Centres and Points
The Council operates a network of 80 Recycling Points throughout East Lothian. Most Recycling Points have facilities where you can deposit the following materials for recycling or reuse:
- green, clear and brown glass bottles and jars
- mixed food and drink cans (including clean foil and empty aerosols)
- blue paper banks accept all types of paper and Yellow Pages
- green paper banks accept paper, light cardboard (like cereal packets and ready meal sleeves), envelopes and Yellow Pages
- textiles: many textile banks also accept shoes (tied in pairs) and sometimes blankets and curtains, but please make sure you put everything in bags and tie them closed to prevent your donations being damaged
By using these banks you will reduce the volume of material sent to landfill sites and help the environment. Locate your closest Recycling Point by visiting Recycle for Scotland and entering your postcode.
Why do I have to separate the glass by colour?
The recycling banks at the Recycling Centres and Points collect only colour separated glass bottles and jars for recycling, as these are melted down and made into new bottles and jars, so it is important to keep the colours separate. Blue glass can be recycled with green glass.
As the glass collected through the recycling box collection is reused as an aggregate, all colours of glass bottles and jars can be put into the green recycling box together.