Share the Care
Respite care for children and young people with disabilities
Share the Care is East Lothian Council's respite service for the families of children and young people with physical and/or learning disabilities.
The service is run by the Children with Disabilities Team. It provides essential support to young people with disabilities and their families by offering regular breaks in a carer's home. These breaks:
- give young people the chance to take part in different activities and make new friends
- give parents the opportunity to spend time with other members in the family, or just to recharge their batteries
If you need a break from caring, and feel that you would benefit from Share the Care, you can get more information by:
- speaking to any of the professionals working with your child
- getting in touch with your local social work team
Share the Carers
Our Share the Carers are members of the local community who want to make a difference.
They take care of young people with disabilities for short periods of time at regular intervals throughout the year and can provide:
- weekend short breaks
- overnight breaks during the week
- day time care
- care during school holidays
- befriending - usually in the evening or at weekends
Prior to beginning their care work, Share the Carers (and their partners):
- attend preparation and training sessions
- undergo a Homestudy, where a social worker visits them at home to assess their (and their family's) suitability (this includes looking at the skills and experience they already have and areas where they may need further training, such as epilepsy awareness training)
- are asked to commit to us for a reasonable length of time as it can take parents and young people some time to develop trust in a carer
Preparation for individual placements
We work with every Share the Carer so that they are prepared for each person they work with. We also provide ongoing training to ensure that their skills and knowledge are up to date.
We take up references for all our Share the Carers.
We also carry out medicals and Disclosure Scotland checks for all our Share the Carers and any perople aged 16 or over who live in their home.