East Lothian Council

Looked after children and young people

Support and services we provide

In Scotland, the term looked after children refers to children and young people who are in care.

A wide range of support is available for looked after children in East Lothian.

Corporate Parenting

East Lothian Council and its partner agencies (including NHS Lothian, Police Scotland and Who Cares? Scotland) have been promoting Corporate Parenting in East Lothian. This means that everyone in our organisations has a responsibility to try and promote the wellbeing of our looked after children.

For more information, please read our conference report - you can get copies of this by emailing us at children&families@eastlothian.gov.uk

Family Placement Team

The Family Placement Team places children with foster families and in our children and young people's centres.

They provide social work support to children and their foster families. They also support the children's birth families by helping them to maintain good links where possible and, in some cases, prepare for their child's return.

Looked after children in East Lothian are given two guides about what they can expect from being looked after - you can find these in the Downloads section at the bottom of this page.

Support and advice from foster carers and residential workers

Children and young people who are being looked after by foster carers receive round-the-clock advice and support.

Our foster carers are highly trained, very experienced and can provide valuable emotional and practical support. For more information about fostering, please go to our Fostering section

Looked after children and young people who live in Pathway and Lothian Villa, our children and young people's centres, are supported 24 hours a day by a team of well-qualified, dedicated and experienced staff who are equipped to deal with the wide range of issues that young people bring to them.

Trusted adults

East Lothian Council's Children Services want to make sure that all children and young people who are looked after away from home are safe and well.  To do this, all children and young people who are looked after away from home will have a chance to choose a trusted adult.

What is a trusted adult?

A trusted adult is someone that you have a good relationship with. It is someone who you think has your best interests in mind. You have a right to choose whether you want a trusted adult and who that person will be. Your social worker can give you more information about trusted adults and advise you on whether the person you have chosen is suitable.

How can a trusted adult help you?

Your trusted adult is there for you to talk to and support you.  They:

  • can talk to you about any concerns or worries that you had and help you to do something about them
  • could support you to talk to other people about your concerns or worries
  • should be someone that you have regular contact with.

From time to time, your trusted adult will be in touch with your social worker to let him or her know how you are doing. They may also have an opportunity to attend your review meeting or share information about how you are doing in writing. You should have a say over how your trusted adult does this.

Find out more by going to our trusted adult download

Randall House, Macmerry Business Park, Macmerry, EH33 1RW

Telephone: 01620 827643

East Lothian Council, John Muir House Brewery Park Haddington East Lothian EH41 3HA.