East Lothian Council

Care homes in East Lothian (residential care)

Guide to East Lothian Council care homes

Moving home can be a stressful experience. We want to help reduce any anxiety that you may feel and give you the information that you need.

If you’re considering moving into one of the Council’s homes for older people in East Lothian this page will help to answer some of the questions that you may have.

What type of accommodation do you offer?

We have three homes in East Lothian that are owned and run by the Council. They are:

Each home is well equipped, well appointed and situated in pleasant surroundings within three picturesque East Lothian towns. They are well served by a public transport system that covers East Lothian and also offers easy access to Edinburgh.

Our homes offer single bedrooms, with one double room in each establishment. They all have communal areas, dining facilities and lounges.

The homes have been designed to allow you to continue to live your life making your own choices: whether you want a bit more support in day-to-day living or to be surrounded by like-minded people your own age.

What care is available in a residential home?

Our homes offer residential care for older people in the East Lothian area who have been assessed as needing residential care. The services available will help you to continue to live independently in a friendly and supportive environment. This is different to nursing care, which is not available in our residential homes. Information on nursing care is available separately.

What services will you offer me?

Our homes offer a number of services to make your life easier. We provide some services as part of your day-to-day life while others are available at an extra cost.


  • Chiropody
  • Health services: visits by community nurses and GPs
  • Laundry
  • Library
  • Meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper are all provided. We can cater for your specific dietary requests for either religious or medical reasons. Hot and cold snacks are also available at any time. Please refer to the individual homes’ information sheets for meal times.

Extra cost

  • Dry cleaning
  • Hairdressing
  • Newspapers and magazine delivery

What is the first step?

When you first start to think about moving into one of our homes a social care worker will meet with you to carry out an assessment. They will talk to you and ask questions about what help and care you need, and listen to your answers to find out if residential care would be most appropriate for you. They will draw up a care plan that will outline what your needs are and what care you would like. You will receive a copy of your plan. Your case will then be discussed at a resource allocation panel.

Throughout the process, your social care worker will answer your questions and help with practical arrangements to move into the home.

How long will I have to wait?

How long you will have to wait will depend on a number of factors, including what type of accommodation you need and availability in your preferred home. Your social care worker will explain all of this to you and can give you a clearer idea of how long this is likely to take. If you have to wait at home for a vacancy, we can arrange extra care for you in your own house until you can move.

What happens when I move in?

When you move into the home, a dedicated member of staff will help you on a day-to-day basis as you settle in. This could include anything from getting you the bedding that you like to having newspapers delivered.

After three months, we will meet with you for a review to see how you are finding things. At this meeting you can tell us about the care and services you are receiving, how you feel about the home and whether you would like to stay as a long-term resident.

What can I bring with me?

We want you to feel at home and bringing personal items, photographs, pictures, small items of furniture or other effects like ornaments or bedding may help you to feel more comfortable. Unfortunately our homes are unable to care for pets so you should speak with your social care worker if this is something that
you are worried about. Your room will have a set of lockable drawers and we can take any other items to be locked in our offices if you would like. Our homes also have space to store your suitcases – ask them for more details.

What about my social life?

Visitors are welcome at all of our properties, just as they would be in your own home. Similarly, you can come and go as you please – whether that’s popping to the shops, a weekend mini-break or a longer holiday with family or friends. You will also find a new calendar of social opportunities awaits you. Our homes have events and activities every week, and special trips and outings that you can join in with. Of course, all activities are optional and there’s always a quiet corner that you can relax in if you’d prefer. It’s entirely your choice.

Should I sell my house?

If you can, it's worth holding on to your house for the first few months after you move - at least until your three-month review meeting. That way, you can see how you enjoy your new living arrangements before you decide to sell. If you are a council tenant, your social care worker and our community housing service will speak with you to find a solution that will work best for you.

Can I keep my current doctor?

If your GP’s surgery is near the home that you choose, there should be no problem keeping your own doctor. If this is something that you are worried about, you can speak to your community care worker or the home directly. Local GPs and district nurses visit our homes, and some hold weekly surgeries on-site. All three homes are located near to health centres.

How much will it cost?

You can find out more about costs on our Charging for Residential Services page.

Who regulates your homes?

The Care Inspectorate regulates all of our homes and carries out regular inspections. The services that we provide to you are governed by the National Care Standards set by the Scottish Government.

Where can I go for more information?

We are happy to meet with you and speak to you about your own situation. You can visit our homes, speak to staff and other residents – even stay for lunch to see what it’s like. You can either contact the home directly or get in touch with Adult Wellbeing Services using the details on the left of this page.

To arrange an assessment, or to make contact with us, get in touch using the details on the left of this page. 

East Lothian Council, John Muir House, Haddington, EH41 3HA

Telephone: 01875 824309

East Lothian Council, John Muir House Brewery Park Haddington East Lothian EH41 3HA.