Finding a Flatshare or student accommodation

This topic offers links to letting agencies' websites advertising flat shares and student accommodation. The links (below) should not be seen as an endorsement of these websites - we do not know what standard of service they provide.

Help with costs

If you are under 35, and need to claim benefits to help pay your rent, in most cases the maximum amount is the cost of a room in a shared house. You are exempt if you are a care leaver (up to the age of 22), or in receipt of severe disability premium. Check our information on Local Housing Allowance.

My Place

This is a flat-sharing scheme for care-experienced young people.

Your rights

You need to understand your rights when sharing a flat or living as a lodger. More information is available, see Lodgers and shared tenancies, which explains how your tenancy deposit is protected, and what Council Tax you need to pay.

It is likely that a shared flats or houses, or halls of residence for students or nurses will be 'Houses in Multiple Occupation' (HMO). These must be separately licensed by the Council. There is more information on our page, Houses in Multiple Occupation.

It is an offence for a Landlord or Agent to make any charge to a tenant or prospective tenant, other than the rent and a refundable deposit (maximum of 2 months’ rent).

Flat share agency websites

Click on the links below to link to each website:

Student accommodation

If you are a student looking for accommodation, also check Shelter's website information.