You are responsible for insuring your furniture, belongings or decorations against theft, fire, vandalism and burst pipes.

You can take out  household insurance either with our special scheme underwritten by Allianz or by making your own arrangements.

The Allianz scheme is open to all council tenants. Many Housing Associations run similar low-cost schemes, Housing Association tenants should contact their landlord.

Payment of the premium

The cost of insurance is payable fortnightly along with your rent. To work out your fortnightly payment, refer to the table on the next page, Cost of Insurance.

Insurance for your home contents

When you take out this insurance your household goods and contents will be insured whilst in your home. The insurance also covers theft of your keys and the contents in your freezer. There is also cover for personal liability.You can apply using our Home Insurance Contents leaflet.

Accidental damage is not covered as standard other than what is detailed in the policy summary. However, a full accidental damage option is available at an additional cost, refer to the table on the next page, Cost of Insurance.

What you are covered for

For details on the main circumstances that are covered (e.g. fire, theft, water damage), a specimen policy booklet is available on request.

New-for-Old insurance

All your home contents are covered by the policy on a new for old basis, with the exception of linen and clothing which will be replaced at their current cost, less an amount for wear and tear. When you are working out the cost of your insurance, you will need to work out how much it will cost to replace the full contents.

If you under value your contents this will mean that if you claim you will not get the full value of your claim.

Special low, minimum sums insured

The lowest amount that can be insured is:

  • £7,000 if you are over the age of 60.
  • £10,000 for all other people