All premises used as a food business for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food are required by law to be registered with us including:

  • market stalls
  • delivery vehicles and
  • other moveable structures.

Generally, anyone who wants to operate a food business must register with the council at least 28 days before they intend to start up.

The Food and Safety team at East Lothian Council keep a record of each food business registered. The register lists those food premises which require to be inspected to make sure that they meet the legal requirements. 

There is no charge for registering a food business and the registration does not need to be periodically renewed.

Food Business registration form

Food businesses that process food products of animal origin

Food businesses that process food products of animal originand intend to supply other food businesses are not required to register their business as outlined above, however the are required to complete an Approval of a Food Business Establishment application Subject to Approval under Regulation (EC) No. 853/2004 and submit detailed drawings of their premises, along with other documents, details of which are given in the guidance notes.

Application for approval of a Food Business

Section 50 Certificates in relation to Food Hygiene

Section 50 of the Act states that a premises licence application must be accompanied by a planning certificate, building standards certificate and, if food is to be supplied on the premises, a food hygiene certificate.

Before the Licensing Board can consider your application, you must apply for a Section 50 Certificates of suitability confirming that the premises have the necessary approvals in place. If food is to be supplied on the premises, a Section 50 food hygiene certificate is also needed from Environmental Health.  

Child minders

Child minders operating within domestic premises are required to complete a child minders registration form.