The Environmental Health Service investigates accidents, work-related diseases and dangerous occurrences reported to the service, taking enforcement action where necessary and giving advice as appropriate.

Enforcement of the Health and Safety at Work Act, etc.1974 and associated legislation is split between council Environmental Health Services and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

Workplaces, which are subject to inspection by councils, include offices, retailing outlets, warehouses, hotels, catering establishments, sports and leisure facilities, consumer services and places of worship. The allocation of premises to the Environmental Health Service or the HSE depends on the work activity involved. Check the HSE website to find out who enforces health and safety at your workplace.

What enquiries we deal with

Accidents at Work

Certain workplace accidents must, by law, be reported under RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013). Such accidents are normally reported by the injured persons employer. Advice on what to report and how to report it is available at HSE Riddor. Investigations will be undertaken by the Environmental Health Service where the incident meets the selection criteria.

Concerns about health and safety in a workplace

You can raise concerns about a workplace to the relevant enforcing authority. You can contact the Environmental Health Service or HSE at workplace health and safety concerns.


The HSE website gives advice on all aspects of safety, health and welfare at work. It is very easy to use and as well as advice provides access to templates for example risk assessments. You should use this resource initially and contact the Environmental Health Service if you need more specific advice.