Deaf and Blind services

Deaf and hearing impaired services

We support people of all ages who are affected by deafness or hearing impairment.

  • Services for deaf and hearing-impaired schoolchildren
  • Communication Support
  • BSL/English interpretation, lip speakers, note-takers, deaf blind interpretation.
  • Assessment and ongoing social work support

Our social work team offer a statutory social work assessment agreed with you, your family and/or carers.

Assessing your needs

Following assessment, an individual care plan will be created covering all areas of support. Help with Self Directed Support planning is also available.

  • All social workers are registered with the Scottish Social Services council, and have specialist training and/or experience in working with deaf and hearing impaired people.
  • Specialist equipment - we will provide information and advice, installation, maintenance and repair of specialist equipment deemed necessary following assessment.
  • Visiting outreach support service - a home based individual support to promote independent living, covering a range of practical, financial, social, health and wellbeing issues.

Blind and visually impaired services

East Lothian Council together with RNIB Scotland support people of all ages who are affected by visual impairment.

  • Services for visually-impaired schoolchildren
  • Vision Support Centre – based at the Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion in Edinburgh. Assessment, information, advice and emotional support to everyone following diagnosis.
  • Registration Service – following diagnosis, RNIB staff will help you, if you choose, to become formally registered as partially sighted or blind. Registration will help you access related services/benefits.
  • Assessment – a statutory social work assessment. This will identify the outcomes you want to achieve.  With the agreement of you, your family and/or carers where relevant, a personalised care plan can be developed.

Assessing your needs

  • Mobility Training and Rehabilitation - a specialist tailored service to help keep you independent in your home and the community. 
  • Specialist Equipment – a wide range of specialist equipment is on display at the Resource Centre in the Hillside Crescent offices. Advice and guidance about which equipment is right for you also provided.