For life-threatening illness or injuries please call:

  • 999

Please remember that Emergency Department / A&E and 999 services across NHS Lothian are for genuine emergency situations only.


Roodlands General Hospital

Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh

Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Edinburgh

NHS 24

If your child is feeling ill when your doctor's surgery is closed and you feel you can't wait until it re-opens, call NHS 24. Calls are charged at a local rate.

The NHS Helpline can provide you with details of pharmacies, GP practices and dental practices across East Lothian.

They can also provide information about illnesses and conditions, treatments, NHS services and other support services.

NHS Inform

NHS Inform is a new national health information service. Providing a co-ordinated approach and a single source of quality assured health information for the public in Scotland.

How to register with a GP

For assistance registering with a GP, please visit the NHS East Lothian website:

Post Natal Depression Service

East Lothian PANDAS offers a range of confidential services:

  • Individual or couples counselling
  • Group therapy
  • Art therapy
  • Counselling and support services
  • Baby massage classes
  • Creche facilities

To access the East Lothian PANDAS Service,  please contact us by telephone or email:

Health Visitors

NHS Health Visitor teams provide information and advice to parents of children ages 0-5 years.

Child health clinics are run by health visitors and GPs. They offer regular baby health and development reviews and vaccinations. You can also talk about any problems to do with your child, but if your child is ill and likely to need treatment, it's best to make an appointment to see your GP. Contact your local group to find out about the full range of services in your area.

Your Health Visitor can provide advice regarding:

  • The Lothian Immunisation Programme
  • Baby Massage
  • Peep
  • Breastfeeding Support Group
  • Parent Group
  • Paediatric Resuscitation and Choking Training
  • Sleep problems
  • Eating/feeding problems
  • Bed wetting/potty training
  • Tantrums/behavioural problems and other issues of concern to parents of young children

Speech and language therapists

If you are concerned about your child's speech development, it is a good idea to talk first with your health visitor or doctor. They can assess your child and, if necessary, arrange a referral to the Paediatric Speech and Language Therapy in Edenhall Hospital, East Lothian.

A telephone helpline is also available for parents to discuss any concerns they may have about a child's speech and language development. Discussions are confidential and personal details need not be shared unless a referral is agreed.

The telephone helpline is available on Thursday afternoons from 13.00: 

  • 0131 536 8175