If you think an adult is at risk or being neglected

Are you concerned about someone who may be at risk of harm or neglect? Or are you an adult at risk of harm?  We can help.

  • contact social work on 01875 824 309 or, outside the hours of 9am to 5pm contact the Emergency Social Work Service on 0800 731 6969
  • you can also contact the police by calling 101, or in an emergency call 999

You can report your concerns to us in confidence and we can take action to protect the person you are worried about.

What will happen when I report harm?

East Lothian Health and Social Care Partnership, NHS Lothian, and Police Scotland work in partnership to keep people safe from harm.

We have a duty to inquire and investigate cases where harm is known or suspected.  Staff work closely with the adult at risk to decide together what action is best.

If appropriate, the family of the adult at risk will also be involved in the decision-making.

What does harm look like?

We all have a responsibility to report whether we 'know or believe' an adult to be at risk of harm.

Harm can be physical, psychological, financial or sexual. Harm can also mean neglect. 

Learn more about protecting adults

Public Protection in East and Midlothian website