Community Asset Transfer is the transfer of responsibility for an asset from the council to a community group or organisation.
Part 5 of The Community Empowerment (Scotland) Act 2015 sets out the key rights and duties, and provides a framework for the Asset Transfer process.
Before you make a formal transfer request
Preparing a business case for a formal Asset Transfer Request can be a big task. To save you time and effort, we use a form to assess whether a potential formal request is likely to succeed.
- Read the Scottish Government guidelines
- Read the community asset transfer policy and guidance
- Complete the form to express an interest in Community Asset Transfer
To help identify assets that may be available through asset transfer, section 94 of Part 5 of the act requires each relevant authority to establish, maintain and make available a register of land which it owns or leases.
Asset request form
The statutory asset transfers request process only starts after a validation letter has been issued by us. We send out this letter to confirm that you have included all the required information with your request.
Existing asset transfer requests
- Asset Transfer Process Overview
- Community Ownership Support Service, DTAS website
- Asset Transfer Route Map, DTAS Community Ownership Support Service website
Free training event on the 16th of March 2019 at the Brunton Hall, Musselburgh (9.30 am) to learn about the powers that communities have to take ownership, lease or manage land and buildings.