Community support for the climate emergency
Find your local sustainability initiative and get involved:
Community action is key to tackle the climate emergency. In East Lothian we are very lucky to have many local sustainable initiatives and groups taking daily climate action:
- East Lothian Climate Action Network
- Climate Action East Linton
- Gullane Eco Group
- Lil Haddington
- Sustaining Dunbar
- Sustaining Musselburgh
- Sustaining North Berwick
- Tranent Wombles
Is your sustainable community initiative/group missing? Email email@example.com to tell us about it.
Walk, wheel and cycle. East Lothian is a fantastic place to explore in an active way or through sustainable travel options such as public transport and electric vehicles. Here are our travel tips to get around in the county:
- East Lothian on the Move – helping you save money and time as you get around the county
- walking in East Lothian
- cycling in East Lothian
- active travel tips in Scotland
- public transport
- use your electric vehicle in East Lothian
- find out more about electric vehicles at Net Zero Nation
- GoSEStran app for finding your journey with the least carbon footprint - download it for Apple or Android
Consumption and waste
Around 80% of Scotland’s carbon footprint comes from the stuff we consume and waste. We all need to do our bit to buy less, reuse what we have and recycle.
Nature and biodiversity
We are in a nature crisis and need to look after the nature and biodiversity of East Lothian.
- learn about what you can do for biodiversity at Net Zero Nation
- read more about biodiversity on our countryside and wildlife webpages
About a third of all produced food is wasted. To tackle the climate emergency we need to stop food waste and eat more plant-based, local and seasonal produce.
Read about how you can take action with support from these resources:
- East Lothian Friendly Food Network
- volunteer with the network: East Lothian Friendly Food Network
- learn about the network's mission statement: Good Food Charter
- Net Zero Nation - eating greener
- Love Food Hate Waste
Energy - on your save energy bills and stay warmer
Find out what your carbon footprint is
Everything we do has an impact on climate change and global warming. A first way to take action is to understand your impact. you can get an estimate by measuring your carbon footprint.